Iran Uprising at a Glance – Day 63, Thursday, November 17, 2022
- Days: 63
- Protests: 231 cities
- Fatalities: 600+ estimated deaths, 427 identified by MEK, over 50 teenagers
- Detentions: 30,000+
Iran’s nationwide uprising is marking its 63rd day, and the third day of a national strike commemorating the Bloody November uprising of 2019, today, as people from all walks of life are continuing their protests through strikes, rallies and gatherings, and attacks against the Ali Khamenei’s regime in its entirety.
As regime security forces escalate their deadly crackdown against the Iranian people, with the number of killed protesters climbing, the people are also upping the ante with bold and ferocious attacks on government offices and any official linked to the regime of Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei. IRGC and paramilitary Basij sites have been ransacked and torched in multiple cities during the past few days and today. Protesters have fended off increasingly lethal attacks by security units and forced them to flee while torching their vehicles and motorcycles. Security buildings in many cities across the country, especially in Kurdish regions, have fallen into protesters’ hands. Video clips show that today, an IRGC Colonel and several other SSF personnel and plainclothes agents were punished in beatings by angry protesters
Initial reports on Thursday indicate the commercial and industrial sectors, including powerful merchants in the traditional bazaars of Iran expanding their strikes for a third consecutive day in Tehran and at least 15 other cities. The famous bazaars of Tehran, Isfahan, and Tabriz are all closed in a general shutdown in protest to the regime’s crackdown. Other cities where strikes have been reported include Ilam, Rask, Surak, Qazvin, Bandar Abbas, Gorgan, Kamyaran, Marivan, Javanrud, Ravansar, and Khorramabad.
Huge demonstrations in Sanandaj and Bukan in the early hours of Thursday forced regime security forces to city fringes and citizens chanted slogans against the regime and overtook government centers. Activists in Bukan are reporting that protesters are in the streets establishing roadblocks and taking control of their districts as unrest continues in this city of northwest Iran. The city has seen some very fierce reports since the morning. Security forces opened fire on protesters and locals report that at least one person has been killed. Protesters in Sanandaj set up roadblocks and clashed with security forces.
- Tehran, Shahrak-e Gharb district – Protesters chanting: “Freedom! Freedom! Freedom!”
- Tehran, Gisha district – Crowds defied security forces and chanted “Death to Dictator”.
- Tehran, Sadeghiyeh Metro Station – Demonstrators are chanting in front of the metro station.
- Tehran, City Theater Metro Station – Protesters chanting: “Freedom! Freedom! Freedom!”
- Tehran, Narmak district – Protesters chanting: “This is the year Seyed Ali (Khamenei) is overthrown!”, “So many years of crimes! Death to the mullahs’ regime!”
- Tehran, Ekbatan district – This district has been the scene of severe crackdowns by regime uniformed and plainclothes forces but is defying the regime every night, including on this third night of the general strike.
- Eyvanekey, east of Tehran – Locals continued the nationwide protests against the regime on the 63rd night of the uprising.
- Mashhad, northeast Iran – Protesters chanting: “Death to the dictator!”
- Arak, central Iran – Demonstrators chanting against regime.
- Shiraz, south-central Iran – Locals in Gouyom district held a ceremony in memory of Amir Alvandi, killed by the regime in the Nov 2019 uprising.
- They’re chanting: “Mullahs must get lost!”
- Masal, northern Iran – Protesters engaged in a confrontation with the regime’s security forces that launched an attack.
- Bukan, northwest Iran – More footage of protesters taking over the regime’s local municipality office on the 63rd day of the uprising.
- Bukan, northwest Iran – Protesters set ablaze a local regime-linked building, according to activists.
- Bukan, northwest Iran – Many regime-associated buildings, including stores owned by the IRGC, have been set on fire, according to local activists.
- Saqqez, western Iran – Karimabad Street is blocked and protesters are chanting: “Death to the dictator!”, “Death to Khamenei!”
- Saqqez, western Iran – Protesters set ablaze the Water Dept. building used by authorities to station their security forces and cut off the locals’ water supply.
- Sanandaj, western Iran – Protesters pull down a regime flag from a building associated with the local clerical establishment.
- Semirom, central Iran – Protesters set ablaze a vehicle of the regime’s local agents.
NCRI President-elect Maryam Rajavi called on the United Nations Security Council and the European Union to put an end to their inaction. She added that negotiating and dealing with a regime that remains in power only through massacres and crimes is a mockery of the universally recognized principles of human rights.
Please follow live updates at: