Written by Mehdi Oghbai (NCR-Iran.org). December 31, 2022
Despite many efforts, Iran’s ruling theocracy has failed to outflank the ongoing nationwide uprising. Desperate to quell a restive society, Tehran also struggles with the increasing popularity and impact of Iran’s principal opposition, Mujahedin-e Khalq (MEK). In Its latest classified report obtained by the Iranian Resistance, the Revolutionary Guards (IRGC) speaks of the current dire situation of the clerical regime.
As the primary force of the regime’s supreme leader, Ali Khamenei, for oppressing any form of dissent, IRGC’s report reveals the real face of a fragile and moribund regime. The report also indicates how the nationwide uprising and the prospect of downfall have exacerbated the regime’s infightings, literally shifting fear to the mullahs’ camp.
Below is the translation of this report. Note: The Iranian regime uses the derogatory term “hypocrites” to describe the MEK.
- Since the beginning of the protests and due to their expansion and intensity, the MEK’s activities have increased.
- The MEK has focused on disrupting the urban commuting system, using the created crowd in bust stations and metros to control the guiding system of public transport.
- As time elapses and demonstrations become erosive for the public, the rioters affiliated with the MEK show more aggressive behavior.
- Holding scattered demonstrations with a few people has become a popular method of Tehran’s rioters. Protests are now being held in alleys rather than main squares and roads. This method of riot is indeed guided and has specific targets.
- By using the above method, [protesters] engage citizens who have not been involved in riots. Therefore, induce the general belief that protests are becoming more popular among all walks of life.
- Rioters force the security forces to follow them into alleys and residential areas. Once these forces use their gear and the locals suffer from the tear gas, etc., a general hatred toward the security agent forms among people.
- Amid the sedition [uprising], the reformist faction bargains to earn more share of power by inducing that protests are widespread and warn about the system’s downfall.
- They [reformists] meet with top authorities, trying to use these riots as an opportunity to earn a place by encouraging that reforms are unavoidable.
- The reformists use two different tactics. On the one hand, they hold meetings with security and judiciary officials who share their views and offer solutions in a bid to create a miscalculation. On the other hand, their media promotes higher demands, such as holding security forces accountable for making supposed errors and eliminating mandatory hijab laws.
- The loyalist [faction close to Khamenei] suffers from the duality in positions and deeds. Some of them consider organized riots the result of the system’s performance and consider structural reforms as the priority.
- These positions and actions include a meeting between the Council of the Revolution Forces and its core members with the president and some remarks by the likes of Hamid-Reza Taraghi, Mohammad Reza Bahonar, and Manouchehr Mottaki.
- Purchasing pepper sprays to attack security forces once they try to arrest someone, as well as identifying the troops to target them later, have become common methods of insurgents.
- Due to the high probability of riots transforming into an armed conflict, all security officials should take necessary actions and precautions.
- The increasing trend of using Molotov cocktails and hand grenades by the insurgents and MEK affiliates indicates the enemy is ready for a much harsher conflict.
- These elements try to coerce merchants or people from other walks of life in different neighborhoods in a bid to spread discontent about the low level of public services and later blame it on the ruling system. Thus, preparing the ground for targeting the holy system.
- Riots formations have transferred from cities to underground cities (metro stations) to misuse the crowd using public transport and then, if possible, guide the crowd to the streets.
- The enemy also plots to damage public transport by taking actions such as creating a fire in trains, and train depots, sabotaging the railroad, committing suicide in metros, and slashing tires of high-speed buses to close the lines and make traffic.
- Since the riots in November 2019, the MEK has sought to arm its [Resistance] Units and supporters and has been training them on how to create and use Molotov cocktails and hand grenades.
- The necessary precautions and actions should be taken on social media and in real-time. Including creating documentaries about the riots, providing the background of its arrestees, and identifying and detaining leaders of these [protests] for at least the next two months. These actions might be effective.